Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wild Week of Firsts

Whirlwind.

Unpredictable.

Cold.

Scary.

Impressive.

All words describing last week. I fell off the face of the earth and entered into a black hole of potty breaks and oh-my-god-where-is-the-dog thoughts every half hour. Ok, I lie. I need to know where she is at all times in the name of furniture preservation. Oh, and something I didn't think about before snagging my precious little fur ball out of the box and rushing her home~~~WARM WEATHER is probably the best time for such an endeavor. Standing outside in 80 degrees below 0 temps is really, really unappealing. However, for the FIRST time, I have toted my puppy upper outside every half hour in the arctic winds with a positive attitude.

Dirty things. Poop. Not a fan. But like the bumper sticker advises, it happens. Due to the wildlife roaming the area and the Antarctica-like temperatures, I am not over concerned with making sure Bella does her business in the outer regions of our yard in the straw and leaves. Just outside is good enough for me. The thought of having to scrape it off someones shoe, though.....completely unacceptable. So, for the FIRST time ever, I purchased one of those poop grabbing claw things and I walk around the yard every morning hunting for poo. (Personal note to Abby~~~WOO TO THE POO!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

While on the topic of the unpleasant puppy things, Bella has developed an infection of the urinary or vaginal kind. (I tried to prep you for gross with the previous paragraph.) So...for the FIRST time I find myself wiping canine hootenanny more than I wipe my own.

Moving on the humans in the household. I finally had to break down and take Nanners to the pediatrician so we could figure out the root of her stomach issues. She is on a STRICT diet for 2 weeks~~~not even sugar free gum is allowed. That's an entire food group to her. And when we were sent to a lab for blood tests, I was tempted to ask for sedation (for myself as much as for Savanna). If anyone has witnessed the child have a splinter you know where I am coming from. Splinter removal can take hours and a call from the neighbors "just checking to see if everything is alright....with all the screaming and such." I was envisioning nurses being pummeled by her kicking legs as she is being held down crying and screaming. She asked me what was about to take place and my policy has always been to tell her straight up when it comes to medical procedures. Her response was that she would just cry on the inside, not the outside.

And she did it. She sat in my lap with her head buried in my chest and cowgirled up. She even looked a little at the invasion of her little arm. I was so proud. So, for the FIRST time, I saw Nanners truly be the bravest girl.

No comments: