Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Boys Will Put You on a Pedestal...Just to Look Up Your Skirt

I adore my girls. I know, what mother doesn't? They are beautiful and smart and hilarious (see previous post) and so boys eventually sniffing around the house is inevitable. I cannot, however, even imagine what it will feel like to watch as some punk pulls out of my driveway with one of my baby girls riding shotgun.

Claire has had a few "boyfriends" since the 5th grade. But she has a lot of BOY friends, and they eventually want to be her BOYFRIEND and she is left annoyed and wondering how hanging out in the backyard could catapult them into true love. (There is one, however, that I deeply adore and hope can hang in there long enough for her to change her mind). One even asked her to prom. No, not this year. He wanted to reserve a spot by her side for their Senior Prom. In 5 years.

She is sensible, and smart, and can think before she acts.

Savanna, however, gives me cause for concern.

Valentines Day I went to have lunch with my youngest baby at school and witnessed boys walking by and professing their love to her. I even heard a marriage proposal. Hoping that it was just the chicken nuggets I had smuggled into school, I asked her if that happens a lot or was it just the love that filled the air that particular day. "Every day, pretty much," and follows with a sigh. She then explains that she doesn't really care because she has a boyfriend. A real one. Sitting right over there. She is pointing to the one boy who is paying her no attention. Oh dear.

I have to point out that since Pre-K she has been obsessed with a boy who she said "didn't say he loved me out loud, but he thinks it in his head". So having a REAL boyfriend is a definite step up.

Upon further investigation I realize that he has professed OUT LOUD that he is her boyfriend. He even shook my hand when I introduced myself. Approved. Until she tells me that he lets her go into his desk and get whatever she needs (erasers?). She allows him the same privilege. Now I am concerned because I realize they are basically first-grade-living-together.

Here are pictures from the surprise wedding shower we had for her teacher.



Notice Ben lingering in the background.


The look on her face in this picture tells me she is waaaaaayyyyyy too comfortable in that veil....

I try to just take it one day at a time and play it cool, which can be difficult since the first piece of info I get from Savanna when I pick her up from school is the daily boy report. Which is usually about a boy (not her boyfriend) whom she claims to not like but can't stop talking about. In fact, today's plan (and there needs to be a plan because she thinks her friend at school likes her boyfriend and he likes her too) is to discuss this situation with the boy whom she claims not to like (but can't stop talking about). On the playground. Because they are in FIRST GRADE!

Anyways, I guess I will update everyone with a list of stores where Savanna has a bridal registry, and if you happen to see any deals on fabulous prom dresses, you just let me know :)

No comments: